Although the school is chartered by the Menifee Union School District, it is an independent school that operates as a separate public school district. The school is responsible for all administrative functions from Business Services such as payroll, human resources, health benefits, budget and finance to traditional school site operations under the supervision of the Director/Principal of the school. The board ensures that the vision of the school is implemented through policy setting, the review of interim financial reports and adoption of a balanced annual budget among other things.
Santa Rosa Academy School Board of Directors typically meets the third Thursday of every month at 3:00 p.m. for closed session and approximately 3:30pm for open session. All meetings are held at: 27587 La Piedra Road, Menifee, CA 92584 in the library. Please note that occasionally board meeting dates and/or times are changed. Please check the SRA website calendar and for updates.
|Meeting Date||Meeting Type||Agenda||Attachments|
|November 5th, 2019||Special Meeting||Special Meeting Agenda|
|October 17th, 2019||Regular Meeting||Board Meeting Agenda||Documents|
|September 19th, 2019||Regular Meeting||Board Meeting Agenda||Documents|
|August 15th, 2019||Regular Meeting||Board Meeting Agenda||Documents|
The Governing Board provides leadership and community oversight of the School.
The Board shall work with the Director to fulfill its major roles, which include:
1. Setting a direction for the school.
2. Providing a basic organizational structure for the school by establishing policies.
3. Ensuring accountability.
4. Providing community leadership on behalf of the school and public education.
To fulfill these basic responsibilities, the Board shall:
1. Involve the community, parents/guardians, students, and staff in developing a common vision for the school focused on learning and achievement and responsive to the needs of all students.
2. Adopt, evaluate, and update policies consistent with the law and the School’s vision and goals.
3. Maintain accountability for student learning by adopting the School curriculum and monitoring student progress.
4. Hire and support the Director so that the vision, goals, and policies of the school can be implemented.
5. Conduct regular and timely evaluations of the Director based on the vision, goals and performance of the school, and ensure that the Director holds school personnel accountable.
6. Adopt a fiscally responsible budget based on the school’s vision and goals, and regularly monitor the fiscal health of the School.
7. Ensure that a safe and appropriate educational environment is provided to all students.
8. Provide community leadership on educational issues and advocate on behalf of students and public education at the local, state and federal levels.
9. Convene as a judicial and appeals body and serve as the final decision -maker in accordance with law, Board policies and negotiated agreements. The Board is authorized to establish and finance any program or activity that is not in conflict with, inconsistent with, or preempted by law.
Scott Mason has lived in Riverside County with his family for the past 6 years. Mr. Mason has served the community during those 6 years by working as a Felony Prosecutor for the Riverside County District Attorney’s office. As a community college graduate, Mr. Mason believes in the value of a community college education.
Dan Temple, and his wife, Naomi, are the parents of two children. The oldest, Dominique, graduated in 2012 from Santa Rosa Academy, and attends Brigham Young University. Their son Spencer is currently in High School at Santa Rosa. Their children have attended SRA since 2006. Mr. Temple is a Sergeant with the California Highway Patrol, and works in the Temecula Area. The Temple family has lived in Menifee for a number of years
Gina Gonzalez’s involvement with Santa Rosa Academy began in 2011 when Menifee was an area she covered working for the CA Senator’s office. She now works for the City of Menifee as the Economic Development Director working on business attraction, expansion and retention, as well as workforce needs. She has close to 2 decades of experience as a public servant working on all levels of government and has served on many boards and non-profits over the years. She currently resides in Menifee with her son. Working with youth, and mentorship, is her ultimate focus, working to provide a skilled and well trained workforce for the jobs of tomorrow!
Brooke is a parent to two children at Santa Rosa Academy. She has one son in Third grade and one son in Fourth grade. Both children have been enrolled in blue track since Kindergarten. She retired from American Airlines working as a Flight Attendant to become a stay at home mom. Working from home affords her the opportunity to volunteer her time at SRA and her church. Brooke and her husband, Greg have been married for 11 years, and have lived in Menifee since 2009. As a family, they enjoy camping, music, and sports.
Kellie Welty and her husband Dale have lived in Canyon Lake for a combined 29 years. Kellie has three children, Adam is a Nuclear Engineer with the United States Navy. Allison attends college and works in the local community. Kellie has been a Santa Rosa parent since her daughter attended SRA in 2010. Kellie’s youngest son, Nicholas is in third grade. Kellie is a retired Realtor which she enjoyed for many years serving the local community. Kellie currently is involved in many organizations that support the local community.
Gerald Buydos, along with his wife, Andrea, are the proud parents of 9 children. 4 children currently attend SRA and one SRA graduate attending UCR. Gerald has been working in the utility industry for almost 25 years, the last 18 years with Riverside Public Utilities. Gerald oversees the Public Benefits, Energy Efficiency, Water Conservation and Low-Income programs and staff at RPU.
Gerald also served ten years as a publicly elected representative for Valley Health System, a local non-profit hospital corporation in Riverside County. During his tenure, he served on the Finance, Building, and Quality Assurance committees. Also served as Chairman of the Board and Chairman of the Community Health Foundation. The Buydos family has resided in Riverside County since 1989 and currently lives in the French Valley area.
Ben and his wife, Jennifer, grew up in Southwest Riverside County, and Ben attended the Menifee campus of MSJC before continuing on with his education. They have one daughter, who prompted their desire to move back to Menifee when she started school, after living in Orange County for over a decade. In 2016 they moved to Audie Murphy Ranch and Ben relocated his legal practice to Menifee as well. Ben has become very involved in the community, having served as a director for the Temecula Valley Symphony, Helping Young Professionals Exceed, the Menifee Valley Chamber of Commerce, and serving as a Commissioner on the City’s Planning Commission. In his free time, Ben enjoys spending time with his family, reading, music, and being outdoors.